Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Mid Summer Observations

-This has to be the worst week for sports of the year. The highlight of the week is the all star game which is almost as riveting as world cup soccer. TV right now is like the Gobi Desert.

-I was in Biloxi MS last week. You can smell the oil in the water there. People are right. It smells.

-Harvey Pekar died yesterday in Cleveland at the age of 70. True American original literary genius. A tad on the blue side at times but genius nonetheless.

-I really like Red rice w/ finidene. (Thanks Matt)

-Not to get political or anything but there's currently a governors race here in FL. It's just in the primaries and we are daily regaled with ads featuring Rick Scott and Bill McCollum, both Republicans. It is difficult for me to envision two more corn fed self important dick bags than these two. I keep waiting for one of them to accuse the other of having had an affair with a goat or something. Not even out of the primaries and they have spent millions pointing out each others liabilities. Why do people spend millions of their own money for a job that pays in the low six figures? Seems feeble minded to me.

-Jesse Jackson & AL Sharpton are assholes. There, I said it. Playing the offended & oppressed minority card is seriously played. Find a new schtick.

-I listened to Grand Funk Railroad "Closer To Home" on the way to work today. Now that's good music right there. Reminded me of the coconut grove.

Peace out my friends.

4 comments:

Ric Larson said...

That was very “deep” Doug! I have been a fan of Grand Funk for years. Got to meet Mark Farner in NYC when he played with Ringo Star and his “all Star Band” about 12 or 15 or more years ago…who’s counting (OK, so we only exchanged handshakes after the concert)?

Mat does have the best recipe for red rice.

Yes, this week is sports did suck. Can’t wait for NFL!

Pat said...

Yes Doug, I hear ya about Mcullaugh and Dick Scott :)...."lets get to work Florida"....Really?

mat said...

Nice post Doug.For the record Ric the red rice recipe is Benitas. I just showed Doug what she used.Politically I can't speak for Fla. but here in Co.The Republicans are poised to regain control.I don't listen to a lot of Grand Funk but when I"m in the garage zoning out I like to hear "Locomotion".It reminds me of way back at Skateland.Aaah yea baby. Tonight I was chillin with Queen and Lynnard Skynnard.My biggest summer observations are i'm not fishing enough and i need to fix my truck and my car before fall.And we're still looking for a location for our diner.All DC rats/alumni will eat free when in town.

juliet said...

Nice post Doug!