Saturday, April 10, 2010

Updates & Answers to Comments on My Post

We also lived in Dean's Circle twice, first from 1969 (my grade 9 at GWJHS) to 1972 (my junior year at GWHS), then again from 1973 (I got back in 1974) 'til 1976. Yes, I have a brother Rick, and adopted sisters Nancy and Karen. Richard is not on Facebook or Blogger, both sisters are on FB. You might remember that our cousin Dallas lived with us in the early '70's, too. Dallas is also on FB.

At that time, yes, you could call us - me, Richard, Dallas, John Wilson and other friends - "Jesus Freaks". That certainly changed for me a few years later. Does anyone remember John Hayes, who graduated from GWHS in 1972 and went off to Princeton? I hung out quite a bit with him, too. If many of you are now "Jesus Freaks", I can't imagine that we had any influence on that. The funny thing is that John Hayes, who was not "one of us", is now a well known Christian missionary. If I do have some unknown influence, then get out now while you can!!! Just kidding.

Doug, I had forgotten! Now I do remember the little treasure hunt. In the limestone forest behind the U, I think it was. A bunch of us and I used to play a lot of street football in east side of the circle in the early 70's. Who all was that?

I will pass all this news on to my brother, sisters, cousin, and parents, who will enjoy hearing about this. Richard lives in CA, Nancy in WY, Karen in AZ, Dallas in OR, and my aging parents here in OR, too. I have a few Guam pics scanned into my computer and will find some more, I hope, to post to the blog soon.

17 comments:

Paul said...

I got creamed in a football game in front of the Wilsons the second day I was on Guam in 1970. Maybe you were there too.

Pat said...

Wow David, your family is spread far and wide.Pretty neat you all stay close though too.

juliet said...

You must have been at GW with my sister Claudia. I remember the Hays family and the Wilsons, but just barely. Everyone used to play touch football just up from our house near the 4-square on the street.

Pat said...

I have no idea how I keep doing that...posting things twice. I'll blame the dumb blonde thing.

Doug said...

"Touch football" The degree of "touching" to be allowed was open to wide interpretation.

Ric Larson said...

Doug, you just made me think of something. Question: What becomes of a “tight-end” after he leave prison? Answer: A “wide-receiver”! ;)

Chris said...

Good to hear from you Dave.

David Waite said...

Those "touch" football games... It's amazing that no one got seriously injured or killed.

amy said...

hi david us sicklers except wendy all live in eugene, oregon. cool huh small world.

Dave said...

To Doug, a game of 'touch' football meant a swift kick to the stomach followed by a faceplant to the asphalt and then on the next play a chopblock that left your shin bones splintered for life. And as far as the girls went, above the waist or below didn't matter.. either way we got to cop a feel. Those were the days my friends..

Dave said...

I remember when john Hayes came home from Princeton. We all would play football over by Mat Kalb's house and all the girls were gaga over him. Tall, sober, handsome and well educated.. he was everything that a bunch of scraggly circle rats were not. He could also hold his own in a game of street football. If you can can track him down Dave, we'll see if we can get him to join us once again here on the blog. Oh, and I still have a few copies of our DC father-son football game DVD for anyone who want's one.

Dave said...

John Hayes was the tall guy in the video, on our 'son' team. As I remember it, the 'dads' destroyed us. Of course they outweighed us kids by several hundred pounds. Every time I watch that video, I recognize someone else that I didn't notice before.

Doug said...

It was "tough love". Admit it, these games we played helped prepare us all for the gauntlet of life.
You all should be thanking me.

Joanna said...

Please tell your sister that I've been thinking about her for a very long time.I didn't know how to get together in my life. Nancy was one of my closest little buddies from back in the day,I miss her!

David Waite said...

Joanna, Nancy's been trying to find you for years! This weekend I will figure out how to get her membership to the blog.

Joanna said...

That is some of the best news I've heard in months!!!!!Thank-You. I never thought it could be possible!

Joanna said...

The feelings I'm having are kinda like with Jenny and Amy...my old troop:) or rats as they say...how about mice.Sounds nicer.