Sunday, May 9, 2010

From John Hayes

Hi David,

It is nice to hear from you. I'll look on your blog to find out where you are. I am offline at the moment so can't do that now. Coincidentally, I was thinking about that Father-son game the day before I picked up your email. I hadn't thought of that game in years. You are right that it was the one and only game we had. I think it was my idea, or maybe mine and Danny MacDonald's---the older MacDonald boy who was at UOG----maybe I'm getting confused and Danny was the younger brother and David was the older one. In any case, we had all played so much football that fall of 1971 that I assumed we could be competitive against the dads. But I didn't take into account how hard those dads would play, and how they kind of ran right over our frontline of little guys. You will likely not remember this, but the first play Danny called was something called "Blue, 70.." something after that , and it called for our line to block left and me to run a fly pattern down the right side. I remember thinking we were starting out with the one play that we'd practiced most, and that it could be kind of downhill from there. and it kinda was. But it was still fun. Amazing to think that was nearly 40 years ago, the VN war was going on, and planes were taking off to bomb Hanoi and Cambodia and other war-torn areas while we were all trying to manage something like normal childhoods. Good to hear from you. Are there a number of you all in touch? I know David Waite has been really good at recalling those years. Do you have an email address on him? I had one but think it is now out of date. Just so you know, it will be a month before I get back to anyone as Deanna and I are taking a month out for study leave so I can do some writing and other things.

JBH

8 comments:

Dave said...

DW, I sent John your e-mail address. If anyone would like John's, let me know and I'll send it to you, off the blog.

David Waite said...

Thanks Dave! Did you get my message about my sister Nancy joining the blog? She really wants to reconnect with Joanna.

Doug said...

Mac sucked at QB.

Dave said...

I didn't get Nancy's email address yet Dave, please resend and I'll send her an invite and Joanna's email address. That is.. if it's ok with Joanna..?

Pat said...

So did you Dougi :)

Doug said...

That's why I was moved to Defense very early in my brief playing career.
You can't be good at everything :)

Joanna said...

It's great to give Nancy Waite my E-mail. I've been waiting...no pun intended:)

David Waite said...

Dave, Nan's e-mail, in code in case there are any phishing programs out there, is nanciblt *at* hotmail *dot* *com*.