Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Latte Stones in the Jungle

While in my younger years on Guam, Sam Sparks, Matt Kalb, myself, and many of all of our siblings and friends piled up into Sam's old yellow Datson pickup truck. We ended up hiking down a trail to a remote beach. Sam said that his dad owned the beach. We all had a great time. Pitched several tents and made a camp fire. Some one even snuck some brewski's down there too! We ate hot dogs after roasting them over the open camp fire flame. I remember trying to go to sleep and Mat opened the tent with a hot dog hanging out of the zipper of his pants. I woke up to that sight to become the homophope that I am today.

To make a long story short, I remember while hiking down to the beach we saw many Latte Stone structures, and parts of WWII aircraft scatered in the jungle.

I also remember befor I went to sleep in the tent, sitting on the beach looking over the surf at the darkened horizon with many glittering stars. That was one of the most peaceful moments of my life!

Just a cool memory that I want to share!

Ric

6 comments:

Doug said...

The boonies were a wondrous place for the rats of that neighborhood. There was no telling what you might find/encounter on a good boonie stomp. Hell there were still Japanese stragglers from WWII out there on the southern end of the island. While I never saw anything like that but I do remember an encounter with a wild pig that got my adrenaline going. I swear you could smell that creature 30 feet away.
We still have a respectable collection of old .45 & .50 cal ammo and our prize item a fully intact 20MM ack ack shell. We just packed it all up and shipped it with the rest of our shit when we moved back stateside. Can you imagine if you tried to do something like that these days? We didn't have room for latte stones. Too bad, would have made for a nice conversation starter in one of my dads gardens. Still have several glass balls though, some even with the net still on them. You try to explain to people where you got them and what they're for and they look at you like you're from Planet Remulak.

juliet said...

I guess the glass balls are probably replaced with plastic now. I remember a dead pig stinking up the neighborhood behind the Tansy's house and someones Dad thankfully burnt it up with gasoline. First the stench of the dead pig and then the smell of it's hair burning. I wonder why it died there anyways.

Ric Larson said...

I remember those glass balls also. My step-grandpa (George Perdew) had several of them at his house in Toto. Told me that they came from very old fishing nets? I was wondering if anyone still had them or even remembered them or what they were?

Hey Mat, dont know if you remember that camping trip to the beach. Some how I think we all got 'WAY TOO TOASTED' and we all put the hotdogs in our zippers. Then we roasted them over the camp fire. We must have been nuts! But what fun it was!

Ric Larson said...

Yeah Doug, I some times just want to give up all that I have and go live in the boonies of Guam. So much going on there! But my wife (ye 'ole ball and chain) wont let me go! :(

Paul said...

My parents still have some of the glass balls hanging around the house. The rope has rotted away so they've had to have someone re-tie them.

Cindy said...

I think Mr. Kalb was the ultimate collector of those glass balls.