Saturday, December 15, 2007

Harmon Village-Quonset Huts

Some of us, when we first arrived on Guam, moved to Harmon village. You know, moved into one of those Quonset Huts that was a former WWII military barracks before upgrading our residence to Dean's Circle. I remember my brothers & I would venture into the boonies and find unoccupied Quonset Huts covered with jungle and petrified sand bags surrounding them. We would explore the interiors of these huts, and often find some relict's left behind from WWII Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen or Marines (perhaps even Coastguards men?).

I wonder if any of these Quonset Huts are still there? Last I looked on Google Earth, the Huts are not visible, but the roads look like they are still there...but becoming very overgrown by vegetation.

10 comments:

Dave said...

Ric, I was only 6 years old in 1965, when our family first moved to Guam. We also lived at Harmon Village, right on the corner in the first house on 10th street. That was a cool place to live.

rac said...

I too have a vague recollection of staying in a quonset hut when we first got to the island. It must have been for a very short time though and then it was off to Kaiser Village in Dededo.

juliet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
rac said...

Juliet, your memory continues to amaze me. See the proof HERE

juliet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cindy said...

RAC, the family who were our sponsors lived in Harmon Village. We must have stayed with them at least for a night and I remember going to parties there.One year there was a huge scavenger hunt I remember going to.

Paul said...

All the quonsets have been gone for a long time, removed by typhoons. Mrs. Stotts was my teacher in Price Elementary in 1970. I visited their house in Harmon once. It was near one the Elliot's house (a friend of my dad).

Ric Larson said...

Dang it, that's to bad. One of my dreams was; when ever I was to visit Guam again, was to check out the old Quonset Huts that we lived in. A good part of my life was spent there!

Joanna said...

Do you remember the Branch family, Paul? I know I could just call you but, we just saw eachother at P.I.C. last Saturday .You are lucky to have such a kind family. Let's have lunch soon:)I have 2 brothers here and let's brainstorm as to who else was from the circle?! that we can invite!

Joanna said...

You have a memory of an elephant. Amazing how the brain works.Juliet, you do have one of the best brain as far as details are concerned...that and you're a double graduate! So cool. I want that education also:)Dream on,Dream on...you know the tune:)