Friday, February 6, 2009

Joe Murphy

I see Joe Murphy passed away this morning.  Aside from being Tim & Erins dad he was the longtime editor of the Guam Daily and then Pacific Daily News.
A skilled and gifted writer to be sure.  Insightful, articulate, opinionated, obstinate, he was all of that.  But mostly he was that extremely rare breed that recognized and utilized the english language as the medium and art form for which it's intended.  
I always looked forward to Joe's editorials & columns.
RIP Joe Murphy  
 

6 comments:

Dave said...

I had heard that Joe was not doing well, and now a great legend of a man has passed on. It kind of hits close to home for most of us as his name and editorials were what we grew up with for many years. Tim is the next Murphy in line, and is a good friend of Chris's and someone that we as teens knew very well. A bit of a wild man, but then who wasn't back then?

mat said...

His Daughter Megan was my classmate for years at St. Francis.

Anonymous said...

His daughter Megan baby sat me when I was only 3 years old. His son Joey was my age and stayed with us. I will never forget that man. His Pipe Dreams column was really nicely written. My Mom (who is in Guam right now) will most likely go to his funeral.

Joanna said...

I was taken aback by the headlines here. He was a man of integrity. I always tried to read his point of view. He said what was on his mind,kinda of rare here being so small and all.May God bless his soul.

Joanna said...

I read a PDN that had his editorial before he died. I still need to read it.Kinda spooky.

Joanna said...

His last respects were at Jeff's Pirate Cove.Very fitting for him I think.