Monday, June 29, 2009

Just don’t know how to ‘title' this one?

I was at a niece’s birthday party yesterday. She turned 7 years old. She was outside on the swing set playing with other kids. Then some one opened the back door and told her to come in, “it’s birthday cake time”! My niece replied, “I don’t want to come in now”. Later I learned that she did not want to come in because she did not want her special day to end.

When I heard this, it reminded me of a moment of time in my own childhood. I was outside riding my tricycle. I wiped out, had a foot suck in the front tire spokes and was twisted up like a pretzel. I couldn’t get untangled, and ws in pain. Then, out of nowhere came a US Postal worker. He rescued me from my first wipeout on wheels. I remember this as if it were only yesterday. Yet, I was only 5 years old at the time. He asked me, “why are you still crying, are you hurt?” I said, “No, I don’t want to grow up”.

Regardless of the physical pain I was experiencing then, I must have been thinking how wonderful it was to be a kid.

The peacefulness of childhood! I think kids realize the special place and moment of time that they are in, and they don’t want to lose it. Makes you think?

6 comments:

DRL said...

You know you are so right. Child hood should be the one thing we all hold on to. The innocence, freedom, careless living, etc.
But, i wanted out of child hood so badly. I wanted to be far away from it. Oh, yes, many good times, but I couldn't wait to be gone and on my own.
We all look back at some time in our lives we never wanted to change, or grow older. Mine just wasn't childhood.
But a great post!!!

Ric Larson said...

DRL, I was trying to reflect on the happier times that children experience, such as in their/those younger years of innocents. That was what I was attempting to reflect on in this post. I don’t like to reflect on, or talk about the bumber years of my childhood. Those years are all meaningless to me now. I like to move on! It’s better to focus on the good stuff in life, if you know what I mean! And it was so special to see my niece enjoying her day! Maybe because I once had, or wished I had one of those day? It was just so nice to see her enjoying her birthday and never wanting it to end. Wow, it was so special! Give your kiddie-poos a big hug, I love them too!

DRL said...

I know :)
Hey, remember when Dad dumped the dinner table on Desi, because we were all messing around.
Bologna sandwiches afterword.
Those were good days.
How about when we got flooded out in Moscow and had to live in the dorms.

Ric Larson said...

Childhood is ‘bitter sweet’. You learn from the bad times…and what ‘not to do’ as an adult. But always cherish the sweet moments of you childhood when you grow up.

DRL said...

So Ric, when is this "grow up" stuff going to take place for me?

Ric Larson said...

Growing-up? Now that doesn’t sound like any fun. Stay young at heart. Go out and play! :)