Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Happy Birthday To Me

In honor of my 52nd birthday today (May 5th), I'm posting this list that I really love. It was written by a woman named Patricia Volonakis Davis and posted on her blog. It's so true!!!


"Screw You, I'm 52...and I have wrinkles, receding gums, and a higher income tax bracket. But there are some benefits to aging, believe it or not. If you were paying attention at all, by the time you’re over fifty like me, you’ll have learned something about life.

The following are some things I now know for sure to be true:

1) Being ‘sexy’ doesn’t necessarily come from having youthful, physical flawlessness. No matter how old we get, women (and men) can still exude sensuousness by their enthusiasm for people and new experiences. You’ll be surprised at how many young people appreciate that in an older person. (I guess it makes them feel that they’re not falling head first into the grave as soon as they reach forty.)

2) The Rolling Stones will always be cool. They’ll never stop giving terrific performances. In fact, they might even be immortal, sort of like vampires.

3) Doing what’s right, what makes you feel happy and productive, are sometimes mentally and physically exhausting, especially when you have to do them alone. But in the long run, it’s much harder on the spirit and body to pretend that there was nothing you could do to live a more fulfilling life, or nothing you could do to make a positive change in the world.

4) If you own one good black outfit that fits you well and flatters your figure, and you add the right casual or dressy accessories, you’re pretty much ready to go anywhere. This might also be true for men, especially The Rolling Stones.

5) Almost everyone in The United States of America (and probably other countries, too) has thought about writing a book, if they could “just find the time.”

6) If you want to be unforgettable, treat people with respect, warmth, and interest, no matter what their age, background, or station. This goes for everyone, including your neighbor’s five-year-old, your deaf uncle, and the woman who cleans the communal stairs in your apartment complex.

7) In the same vein, you can learn something new and beneficial from everyone, including your neighbor’s five-year-old, your deaf uncle, and the woman who cleans the communal stairs in your apartment complex.

8) There is nothing more valuable than a true friend, and nothing more despicable than one who betrays you. A rotten friend does more damage to your psyche than a rotten lover. So pick your friends even more carefully than you pick your lovers.

9) Always keep your toenails freshly-pedicured. You never know when you’ll have to take off your shoes.

10) You can make a man want you just by laughing at his jokes.

11) There are some people you just have to walk away from, and never look back. These can be anyone from a pushy salesperson to your own parents.

12) Your true love does not have to come with the perfect face. He or she only has to come with the perfect soul. And you won’t believe what a perfect soul will do for one’s perception of a face.

13) If you have children, remember that they’re not your clones. They have their own dreams, opinions, and goals. To maintain a loving, mutually-rewarding relationship with them, let them know you appreciate and accept that.

14) Also when it comes to your kids, you might as well do what you think is right, because you’re going to get blamed anyway, for getting it wrong.

15) To paraphrase another saying, whether you think you’re too old, or not too old to try something new, you’re right.

16) Not everyone appreciates a hug from a stranger, but a kind word is always welcome.

17) Unless you pay them, nobody really wants to hear about your rotten childhood, because they’re still trying to work through their own.

18) Flossing is very important, just as your dentist tells you. I’m not joking. Do it.

19) World peace will not be achieved in my lifetime. I honestly thought it would, because it seems so easy to me. But it isn’t for too many others, so I accept it now that I won’t live to see it.

20) No matter how rich, worldly, or old a man gets, he still loves to talk about Spider-man.

21) And last, if you work to leave whatever place you’re in a little bit better than it was before you got to it, whether it’s a job, a relationship or a situation, you’ll die a happy person. "

Patricia Volonakis Davis

14 comments:

mat said...

Happy Birthday Cindy! I hope you have a very special day. You know I say stuff that might piss you off on the blog but I still love you dearly. Any best friend of my sister is family as far as I'm concerned. Are you taking the day off from work? I love those suggestions. So true. We should all heed that advice. Well I hope you get some time to bond with your grandkids and just relax. PS your older than me but look a helluva lot better.Hahahaha.

Ric Larson said...

Shoot Cindy, you are older than the parents that we knew on the ‘rock’. Oh darn, so am I! Happy birthday!

rac said...

Happy Cinco de Mayo Sis.

Becki said...

Happy Birthday my dear friend! I wish I could take you out. I love your post. I am 52 and sometimes I think it just gets better and better. Happy, Happy Birthday!

DRL said...

Cindy, Happy Birthday!!!

You will have to find someone to spank you for each of us.

Oh, I realy think that Mic, Keith and the rest of the Stones died a long time ago, they just embalmed themselfs so much, they just keep going anyway.

Happy Birthday

juliet said...

Happy Birthday Cindy, great post.

Cindy said...

Thank you friends for your kind words and best wishes! I'm very glad to have all of you in my life! I really have to say that I'm happy to be 52...I have a great job, friends, nice home..everyone tells me I don't look my age, my kids turned out to be happy, healthy adults and I just started dating a nice guy who has the roundest, cutest behind that I have ever seen on a guy over 50 (lol, I know...some things never change). I love ya all!!!

Cindy said...

And to add...the guy is a Republican but I'm overlooking that for the "looks fine from behind in a pair of jeans" part. At my age, I've learned what the priorities are!!!!

DRL said...

NO, IT'S NOT ME!!!!

Careful Cindy, you have described me. :)

Doug said...

Cindy,
you always were the Thinker.
Happy Birthday!
Doug

Dave said...

Best wishes on your birthday Cindy. Liberal or not, you are a true friend. Take care... I'm right behind you. I just turned 50 in March, though I try not to advertise it, being that I still feel 20.

Cindy said...

I see that Rod is back on here, (welcome back Rod), and I remembered that we ladies at the reunion were noticing that HE has a pretty fine behind ....he's not over 50 yet though, is he?

Joanna said...

Happy Birthday and those were words of wisdom!

Doug said...

Yes, I found myself wanting him as well.