Monday, June 16, 2008

Guam Mafia

Hey Dean's Circle peoples,

I think I already know the answer to this question, but I also know I'm usually wrong about such matters :)

A related group of folks with Guam brain damage to y'all is the Guam Mafia. Rod Duncan and I are members. The Guam Mafia are the Suttle, Hale, Duncan, Thomas, Gourley, and Farrow familes. There are some other wannabes, but these are the families who provide the Dons for the Mafia. Rod and I are second generation Dons. The Mafia actually pre-dates Guam with my dad, my name sake James R. Hale, and John Suttle working for the Northwest Regional Educational Laboratories in 1966 in Montana. For my 5th birthday at Flathead Lake near Kalispell, Montana Sara Lee Suttle gave me a scrap book with my picture on it announcing "Hi, I'm Jimmy Hale, and I tell a tall tale". Ain't nothing changed since then, man, look out :)

Actually, the old men may not have been working for the NWREL, the outfit they were working for on Guam. I think there's a college in Kalispell they had a gig at. But seems to me the Sandbergs, and a couple of the other families whose names escape me who did stints on Guam via the NWREL was there that summer. Oh ya, the Tylers, Joyce and Ed and their daughters, and the Sandberg boys, and the water skiing incident where they almost decapitated a fisherman. Hey, this isn't just one of my tall tales Sara Lee was warning y'all about, this actually happened. Them stupid dudes ended up spending some time, overnight I think, in the county clink. Rod would know nothing about it, it pre-dates the Duncan's admittance into the Mafia :)

Anyway, I'm majorily sidetracked as usual. My question for y'all is that the Guam Mafia is in desperate need of a Blog home. I can either start a separate blog or we can just kind of crowd in with y'all. We could start off with crowding in with y'all, and if that get's to be no good, the break off into our own blog. What do folks think? Seems to me rather than having 2 minorly busy blogs, why not have one semi busy blog. Some folks may get up tight and say "we should have a blog with our own name on it". Ya, whatever, do you name every new mole that shows up on your ass too? I mean get real?

So, let me know what you guys think. The level of activity the Guam Mafia will add is likely to be pretty sparse. There will be a feeding frenzy come Civil War time, that's the annual Oregon/Oregon State football game. Our opinion has always been the more people we can drag into that ridiculousnesses the better. Most people find it a lot of fun. Some find it complete wrong and think the whole mafia should be put in straight jackets, thrown in padded rooms, the doors locked and the keys thrown away. I keep waiting for it to happen, sounds like a hoot to me. You know those giant blow-up sumo suits they stick people in so they can bounce off of each other, I think we could get some of that action going, except you add being able to bounce off padded walls. Sounds like fun, don't you think?

Take care,
Jimmy Hale


http://

12 comments:

pat said...

What?????? I didn't get that but happy Fathers day to ya.

Ric Larson said...

I got it, I think?

Your request or suggestion sounds good to me, but this'll have to probably be passed by the eye's of Dave and RAC. Sounds like a lot of history you all could share.

Ric Larson said...

Hey there Fastjimmy, I actually have been to Kalispell, Montana back in 1991 or 1992. I was going through a rough Divorce while living in California, and just needed to get a away!

Had an Uncle living in Libby, Montana at the time. Went up to visit him for a week or so. Then drove to Kalispell to visit an old boss that I had while living in California. It was that visit to Montana back in the early 1990's that lead me to cashing in everyting and moving to Alaksa!

A good thing did came out of all of that! I met my current wife in Alaksa!

pat said...

there ya go Ric!

fastjimmy61 said...

About the only thing I remember about Kalispell is going to the garbage dump to see the bears. I think it was the Tyler sisters that took me. They caught holy hell for it. Back in them days thems was Grizzlies at that dump. 'nuff said.

Jimmy

Joanna said...

What-is-Guam-mafia?Is-it-like-Japanese-yakuza?Why-mafia?

pat said...

Joanna, the schools here take gang (Mafia) activity here very seriously. Even though we live in a pretty safe city, there's always the bad group of jerk kids who I found out recently, try to draw your boy in. worries, worries, but I know, he's a just a wanna be...

Joanna said...

O.k.

fastjimmy61 said...

Hey Everybody,

I can understand there being some confusion over the name "Guam Mafia" from my original post, I was waxing a little poetic. Simply put, the Guam Mafia is a group of families that lived and worked together on the island of Guam between 1968 and 1970. The company everybody worked for was the Northwest Regional Educational Laboratory. They were working on a government contract to revamp the educational system in the Marianas Islands. Durning our second year on the island, we lived in the company house in the village of Merizo (sp?), where my folks were in charge of entertaining visiting folks for the company, having the company parties, etc. This level of wizbang was brought back to Oregon when John Suttle mentored several of the younger members of the group to advanced degrees down at the U of O in Eugene. My dad, James R. Hale, worked with several of the others of the group for Teacher Corps at Portland State, where my dad was also a professor of education. My dad got his doctorate at OSU. With John Suttle being at the U of O, and my dad being a Beaver, the annual U of O, OSU Civil War football game became a party of epic dimensions. This has been written up in the Oregonian, the major newspaper in the state of Oregon. Exactly when, where, and why this group of families started calling itself the Guam Mafia, I don't know. To me it seems to always have been so :)

Love,
James R. Hale II

illustrationISM.... said...

what about the
GUAMAFIA !?

2 words morphed into one!

mark jaquette - #3 DC @
illustrationISM &
BAMmGRAPHICS

Rod said...

Can we KEP out the Beaver fans???

fastjimmy61 said...

Ya, "KEP" out the Beaver Fans. I've never been to Cambodia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kep,_Cambodia). I assume since it was Rod's idea he's buying all the plane tickets and providing room and board. What a guy, unusually generous for Duck, who typically are as tight as 90 year old virgin :)

Jimmy