Saturday, November 10, 2007

Blood Sport

Maybe it was because we lived just outside a war zone, but it seemed many of our games involved a battle of some sort. Of course we had a number of weapons to choose from; rocks, dirt clumps, sticks and BB guns. My personal favorite was the sticker burr ball. Using great skill, one could harvest the pesky burrs from their stem and form a sizable ball. This ball could then be thrown at the opponent leaving a wound similar to a shotgun blast.

The most memorable use we found for this weapon was the gauntlet. A group would gather around the street with freshly made ammo; some poor soul would then ride their bike through the crowd getting blasted from all sides. We would spend the next several minutes laughing and plucking the deadly burrs from the victim’s skin. Ah, to be young again.

4 comments:

Doug said...

Clothespin gun. Guaranteed to leave a mark at 10 feet.

Ric Larson said...

Hey RAC'ster, you weren' on the O.J. defense team I hope!

DRL said...

Yea, those were the days. Yes Dan, I still have the mark from your bamboo spear.
You know, even playing War in the Boonies without real wepons was fun.
Hey, this reminds me of hide and seek in the whole Circle.
I miss those days. Any one for a game of Spin the Bottle?

Joanna said...

shoot but, when I say I hit you, you have to hit the dirt and surrender!