Sunday, November 11, 2007

Great American Smokeout

This Thursday, November 15th, will be the 30th annual Great American Smokeout. As a generation which grew up in a society that accepted and encouraged smoking, many of us picked up this horrible habit as teenagers.

Now, as a tribute to my Mom, I encourage any of you who still smoke to put your best effort forward this day and quit. Why? Because cigarettes are what killed my mother. But not only did cigarettes kill her, they also took away any quality of life she might have been able to enjoy these last few years. So in her honor, do yourself and your love ones a favor and quit.

And what makes me qualified to preach these words? Because on November 15th it will be two years and one day that I will have been smoke free. After 30 some odd years of heavy smoking, I put them down one day never looked back. Believe me, it is the best thing you can do for yourself. And it really wasn't that hard.

Trust me, you are not alone. I'm sure there are a number of other folks here who kicked the habit and are more than willing to give their support. Come on - you can do it! And for you ex-smokers out there, let’s hear some words of encouragement.

8 comments:

alice said...

I loved going to Cruz store to smoke Kool cigarettes and eat pickle papaya at the mature age of 11 or 12. Had a heck of a time with cigarettes thru my life. I was able to put them down about 15 years ago and am surprised when second hand smoke can still cause a craving. They put something in those things. Quitting smoking is one the hardest things I've had to do in this life. Hyonosis and taking it 5 seconds at a time helped.

Cindy said...

Way to go Robert! Don’t forget that smoking also killed our father (lung cancer). I quit 23 years ago. Felt like I lost my best friend. Took it up again briefly 11 years ago while dating a smoker but soon came to my senses and quit again. Nicorette really helped the second time.

Dave said...

I smoked from age 13 to 15 at the bus stop. Was up to 2 packs a day when I could afford it (70 cents) or was bumming them. I finally got so sick one night drinking whisky and smoking kools, that I finally gave up the chupas and haven't smoked tobacco since. I had nightmares and cold sweats for 2 weeks, but was able to kick the habit.

Chris said...

I'm thinkin' about goin' out and by me a pack of Marbo'greens....

just for the nostalgia...

pat said...

You'all make sense...cigs are hard to quit. One day I will.(keep tellin my kids) It was hard to see mom suffer. My dad didn't die of lung cancer. It started with prostate cancer, spine, brain, then moved to lung.

juliet said...

Hey my mother quit cold turkey one year for New Years. My husband also just made the decision about 10 years ago and quit. Some of you if you really are having trouble might look into taking Anti depressants to quit. I remember stealing a few of my mom Viceroy cigarettes (code name Barbie) and heading out to the field behind my house with some of the other girls and smoking.

Joanna said...

Yeah, smoking cigarrettes sucks. I think I stopped when I stayed with Alice while she was preganant with Brandon. My boyfriend said I tasted just like an ashtray.I quit,then picked back up when I came back to Guam.Then I quit for all 2 mos. with my husband. We could walk up steep cliffs without puffing like crazy:) and it wasn't de odder kine:)that did that!

Doug said...

They still make Marlboro Greens?! Or as MAD magazine once called them, "Marble Rows".
When i quit I swore to myself that I wouldn't be a preachy reformed ex smoker. But....please quit.
That means you Pat.
Cigarettes=wasted lung energy.