Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Albert Hofmann, father of drug LSD, dies in Switzerland

GENEVA - Albert Hofmann, the father of the mind-altering drug LSD whose medical discovery inspired — and arguably corrupted — millions in the 1960s hippie generation, has died. He was 102.

Hofmann died Tuesday at his home in Burg im Leimental, said Doris Stuker, a municipal clerk in the village near Basel where Hofmann moved following his retirement in 1971.

For decades after LSD was banned in the late 1960s, Hofmann defended his invention.

"I produced the substance as a medicine. ... It's not my fault if people abused it," he once said. more

12 comments:

DRL said...

RAC, that same quote was used about the atomic bomb.

DRL said...

911 operator, "What's your emergEncy"?
Timothy Leary, "HURRY, THERE IS A 20 FOOT CHICKEN RUNNING DOWN THE FREEWAY"!!!

illustrationISM.... said...

I've was on LSD many times when i was living in Chicago! I hope to reach 102 like him!

Mark

Anonymous said...

Mark, this is news to me--- since when dude?

DRL said...

Another great quote. From star treck, Kirk said that Spock had too much "LDS" in the 60's

Doug said...

I'm sure Marks testing of this "medicine" was experimental and purely in the interest of science.

DRL said...

Or was it for abstract design?
nah.

Anonymous said...

I just Googled LSD Chicago, I think Mark was referring to "Lake Shore Drive".

illustrationISM.... said...

BOO-YAH! Your mind has expanded! Good research sis!
LAKE SHORE DRIVE!

Anonymous said...

I don't know if googleing counts as "expanding my mind" but it is a quick way to find something out. I just knew you too well to know that you were using a play on words thing--- so Boo Yah is right!

Ric Larson said...

Timothy Leary (whom the Moody Blues also sung about) had a home in Millbrook, NY just about 35 miles of where I live. After you see his old house (rather....castle), you know he was on somthing....far out, man.

Joanna said...

In Psychology class, I learned of a few Doc's that took it and wrote about their experiences and it was neat to see these Doctor's words as they slipped away to the dark side of the moon:)Hello.Hello,Is anyone out there?