Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Hafa from the bayous

Hafa browns! or as we say down on the bayou>> Comment Ca VA (como se va) Neg!

Dave Larson tracked me down which is no biggie because I am in the same place he left me the last time I saw him (1986??). We chased a greyhound from Lafayette to New Orleans that night and never caught it.

Anyway my memories of Deans Circle are somewhat hazy but then again so were much of my teen years. I remember a few names, some I can put faces to and others I can't. Maybe it is best that way.

For all of you going "who the #%& is this guy" my history with Dean's Circle was probably late 74 through most of 75. I would have been a sophmore and junior with my brother Avery about 7th and 8th and my sister Lili about a sophmore at UOG. I guess we were at Deans Circle about a year having moved from Deddedo or as we called it "Dread De Do". Man we (that means you too!) had it made at DC. We then moved to Hospital Point (is that Tamuning?) in a great house on the cliff overlooking the Hilton but there was no gang to run with. We returned stateside half way through my senior year. A lot of memories jammed into a very brief stay (only in Guam for 18 months)!

Been back in my old hometown in South Louisiana (it is where Tobasco is made) for abut 15 years >>working in the oil patch in Lafayette. Still diving and fishing >> but in the Gulf of Mexico which is about 15 miles from the house. You need to be 50 miles offshore to find the kind of water we had at the "ROCK"! We have one manmade "beach" nearby but the water looks like chocolate milk most of the time. However the fishing is awesome! Specks and reds nearshore, amberjack, red snapper and cobia "at the rigs" and even tuna, marlin & sword fish in deep water!

Never made it back to Guam although want to BAD!!!!! This has definitely been a "blast from the past"!

12 comments:

Ric Larson said...

Welcome to the blog King. Probably did not know you at the time that our family was living on the rock. And if I did, please excuse my poor memory.

I'm with you King. Although I lived on Guam a little longer than you did time wise (1972-1979), Guam's memories have been the most important ones of my life! There was something about living in 'Dean's Circle' that is special, and that no one else in the would could, nor would ever understand. (I think the lot of us feel the same way and this is why this blog is such a big hit)! My wife and I were planning a trip to Guam in the very near future, until RAC'ster decided that a reunion in Vegas would be nice (you da man RAC'ster!). I jumped on this in a heart beat! I was weighing out the options, and it was to see the old Dean's Circle Gang once again!

So you live were they make Tabasco. Don't know if you remember that Tabasco was a big part of the local food thing in Guam.

Glad to read your blog, and hope to hear more of your memories of Guam!

DRL said...

King, we lived behind you (accross the ally). I know when I go back in time, I will say hi to you. I have one of them time machines oredred from the web. I saw it on Napolion Dynamite (he lives just about 100 miles south of me). If you don't remember me, you might remember my sister Desi (everyone remembers her), and my biggest brother Ric (commented above mine), And Sean. We are the Perdew-Larson Family.

Oh, if anyone says we are crazy, don't believe them, or do, I cant remember. Any way, good to see you (no, I can't really see you). But Hope to see you at the "Vegas Baby Dean's Circle Reunion" at the end of July.

Dave said...

King was always the adventurous one, four wheeling around the island in his jeep (or his Dad's jeep) diving the reefs or snorkeling inside and beneath Marbo cave... under the rock wall he would disappear, through small openings and passage ways on nothing more than a lung full of air. Of course I would have to follow, only to surface inside an inner cavern deep beneath the earth. What an awesome place to grow up as a kid. If the folks had known half the stuff we were doing back then, they would have had a heart attack. Those were still the days when parents could let their kids run free. Even if they didn't let us, we did it any way. Good to see you back in the circle King. Now that you are a veteran blogger, its time to break out that photo album.

Joanna said...

We may have never met but, like Dave said,Pictures!!! They say more than a thousand words...DRL, you aren't crazy per se...

rac said...

Great to have you here King. How exciting to have one of us located in my second favotite part of the World. Come to think of it, if we are to consider the food then Southern Louisiana might just be number one. Might have to swing by for some crawfish next year when my kid starts at LSU.

DRL said...

Joanna, "crazy is as crazy does".....oh, no, wrong saying.

pat said...

Welcome King. You must have moved "in" the circle about the time we moved out, because I don't remember you. I'm one of the Caraway kids.....maybe you've heard of us, or...maybe not. It's funny when you say your thoughts of those times are fuzzy. Mine were too until I hooked up with this blog and those memories came flooding back. Keep in touch with us King, it's a good feeling....oh, PS my sister Cindy, brother Robert,(RAC) me and my parents were on Guam 8 years. I remember "dread de do" LOL. we lived there first,( after our short stay in our Quonset hut).
hope to hear more from you.

DanL said...

Welcome back to the circle. for some of us its the closest we'll ever get.
I did some rep work for Abx Air, painting airplanes in New Iberia. Been to Avery Island (Tabasco factory)too. Loved the food down there. Ya, could not find any beach. Just kane fields and swamp.

DRL said...

Danl, Good to hear from you after a long time. Are you comming to Vegas Baby??? I need someone to keep me on the straight and narrow.

Joanna said...

Dan, are you planning to go?

Joanna said...

Dan, are you planning to go?

Anonymous said...

Welcome King (is that your real name?) I am one of the Jaquettes. Mark and I (Julie) lived on Guam from 1966-1981 or so. We lived at DC most of that time. I don't remember your name, what else can you tell us about yourself??