Monday, April 28, 2008

Car accident...and perspective

I was in a car accident on Monday..exiting the bay bridge in SF, when a lady in a Jeep slammed into me from behind..pushing me into the car in front of me...good news is I walked out of my car alive....

lucky because 1. I was in my Jag..(super heavy car..protected me from being crushed) 2. wearing my seatbelt (they said it saved my life..my ribs aren't happy, but they're alive so they can stop complaining) 3. had a good 2 car lengths between me and car in front (also prevented the aforementioned "smashed like a bug" syndrome.

Off work/travel for a couple of weeks....while docs figure our how to repair me...waiting to find out if I'm super lucky once again and just have a bruised back, or if I have a slipped disc, or a cracked tailbone..so far..lots of drugs and sleep.....lots of pain, lots of drugs...

Last week, same time I was in Hawaii for work...walking on the beach every morning before work..feeling pretty grand about life!

To put it in perspective....still feeling pretty grand about life! great family, good friends, fun job,
alive and walking, albeit slowly...will definately be dancing at the reunion..god continues to bless me.

cheers everyone! Kelley

13 comments:

Sarah said...

Kelley,

I'm glad you're OK and not too seriously injured. I know rib and back pain is especially difficult to deal with...take those (good) drugs and do your stretches if recommended by your provider. Will pray for a speedy recovery.

Sarah

P.S. Sorry about the Jag :-)

Ric Larson said...

Kelly, I'm so glad that you are OK! I'm not a Jag-car type of guy, so I feel no pain for your vehicle, except for the fact that the vehicle that you were driving was in a traffic incident, sorry. I am very glad that it provided the protection that it did for you in the accident.

See you at the 'Vegas-Baby' reunion. Have your back straightned out by then and your dancing shoes on!

rac said...

Yes Kelly, so sorry to hear about your accident, but I am glad to hear you're OK (for the most part). Our thoughts will be with you during your recovery.

Dave said...

Hang tough Kelly and let those docs and nurses bring you back to good health, especially before July 25th. Glad to hear you are okay and unlike ric, I do feel the pain for your jag as well. Nothing like a good solid piece of metal between you and the road... or the car in front of you.

Doug said...

Kelley,
glad you're ok. Sorry about your car.
My daughter was in an accident a few weeks back. Rear ended some lady, a fender bender. So I'm like...so you were following too closely and she says but she slammed on her breaks! And again I say so...you were following too closely and she says but she slammed on her brakes! And so I say, well you get the picture.

mat said...

Kelly, Hope you feel better. To bad about your car but at least it was solid. And it can be fixed.

Anonymous said...

As a victom of being rear ended years ago I feel your pain. It totaled my car and I lost months of work. It took years to get to feeling "normal" again. But I did get to feeling good again. Glad you are counting your blessings and looking on the bright side, because although you are hurting now, you are blessed it wasn't worse.

DRL said...

Kelley, I am sorry to hear about the accident. Being one with a broken back and have had 2 broken ribs, I as well others, epithise with you.
I am not sorry about the Jag, it did it's job in saving your life. My wife drives the Excursion (8,000#) for one reason. If anyone walks away from the accident, it will be her and my girls.

Ric Larson said...

Gosh dang it DRL, you said it better than I could! What I meant, was like DRL said. Atleast the Jag felt no pain and it probably saved your life!

Cindy said...

Kelley, I'm so glad that you're okay. You have a great attitude which will go a long way in getting you well again and ready to go dancing at the reunion. Know that your friends from the DC are here for you and sending our love and good wishes for a speedy recovery.

Sean said...

Hi Kelley - I'm so glad to hear that you are (mostly) OK. The big car does make a difference! Try that in a 'mini'. I've been in a few "totallers" through the years and walked away from all of them (big cars and seat belts).

So, on the brighter side, are you getting a new car for your birthday?

Island Jewell said...

Hey Sean...no new car..I just visited jaggy today and she's going to be back to spectacular by next week. ( I visited the body shop today to make sure they knew who's car they were working on....)Seems to help. How do you know it's my birthday coming up? K

DRL said...

Kelley, remember he was madley in love with you. He is smart and remembers all.