Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Reflection, Who stole my bike?

A preacher was outraged that someone stole his bicycle. It was his only form of transportation.
Seeing one of his elders walking down the street, the preacher found it to vent out his anger onto a listening ear.
"Oh, you just wait", The preacher grumbled, "I will give a sermon this Sunday that will compel the thief to confess.
Well Sunday rolled around, and the preacher stood at the pulped, arms just a flailing around. Red faced and veins a pop'n out of his head like an atlas of West Virginia. The sermon was on the 10 Commandments, and oh, what a sermon.
The elder kept looking around for the guilty party. Waiting for that sign of regret and repentance. However, no faces changed through out the whole sermon. They all sat affixed to the preacher. No one's gaze changed.

Look at the comment to see the end of the story.

2 comments:

DRL said...

The elder came up to the preacher after the service and asked, "What happened to the convicted soul that would pour out his sins?"

The preacher answered him, "Well, that is what I am doing."

The elder could not catch hold of what he just heard, "What?"

The preacher said, "See, when I got to the commandment, 'thou shalt not commit adultery', I remembered where I left my bike."

I (this is me talking now) was once asked in a job interview, "What is one negative thing about myself." I didn't have to think on it, I know. I have a problem where as I think that I am better than I actually am. I think I can run faster than I can. I think I can sing, when I cant carry a tune in a bucket. I think I know more than I do. Yes,by the way, I got the job. I haven't learned yet to look in to the mirror, to see myself as others do.

Some times it takes forgetting where we left out "bike" to realize what we have to confess.

Becki said...

You ever look a picture of yourself and say "I look like that?" or hear a recording of your voice and say "I sound like that?" A reality check is always a good thing. It reminds us of our humanity and the fact that we are far, far from perfect. Thanks for the post.