Wednesday, February 13, 2008

PICKLED PAPAYA RECIPE

*******************************************************************
MmmMMmmm good! This was a
favorite in our family and it was so easy, the kids (my sister & i)
could make it too! We put good use to the green papaya
population i our back yard. It depends how much pickled
papaya you want to make but...you start with:

- 1,2 or 3 big green (not ripe yet inside) PAPAYA.
- lots of VINEGAR (to fill, maybe half, a gallon jar,
a glass one works best!).
- 6-10 'boonie' peppers....or if you're in the states,
jalepenos work ok, but it's not going to be primo!


Slice the papaya in half, scoop out the seeds,
throw the seeds in the boonies so you can have
more papaya trees; come back in the kitchen, slice
the papaya into very thin slices, put them into your
glass gallon jar of vinegar and sliced boonie peppers
(don't rub your eyes after all this, you'll get 'pink-eye' dude),
put the lid on the jar and shake & mix; let it sit for 3-5 'adai's'.
After you think it's done - open the jar and eat it!

Be sure to share gachong! Enjoy!
And also be sure to tell them
Senator Mark Jaquette
from Alupang Island
recommends this!

**************************************************

6 comments:

Ric Larson said...

Mark, I'll have to make some soon. I can still taste it when I thing of Pickled Papaya!

Sarah said...

My mouth is watering as I read this recipe (better than the tress snake one!). Remember eating "ebas" and green mangoes with salt and peppers?

I can find boonie peppers here, but I can't find green papaya in Alaska :-( I like the part where you go outside to throw the seeds in the boonies so you can have more papaya trees.

Sarah

Sean said...

I've made the pickled papaya from time to time here. I even got my wife to like it. I use habaneros mostly for the peppers.

But, I cannot get green papaya's here. The best I can do is to have a little pink on the inside, and these just tend to disolve in the vinegar. Not quite the same.

Any "salty seed" fans out there. My mouth waters in a pavlovian reaction just thinking about them. I've gotten them a few times since leaving Guam, but I had to go to Manila and Shanghai to find them!

Ric Larson said...

Sean, good to see you back! I can send you some. Teresa found a nice little store in White Plains, NY that sells nothing but island stuff. I'll get it sent out to you soon!

Sean, intrested in going to Vegas too for a Dean's Circle reunion!

pat said...

yum! one the things I miss the most. thanks for the recipe

Sarah said...

Li Hing Mui uts in Hawaii come close to salty seeds...but still kinda sweet.

Sarah