Saturday, February 23, 2008

Smoking Pot

One of the greatest gifts I received on Guam was being able to see people for who they are as opposed to the color of their skin. Unfortunately I wasn't given the same respect in junior high. Even still, the earlier lessons of racial harmony are what stuck and carried me thru life. That is until I moved to Utah.

According to the 2000 US census there are exactly 7 black people in the entire state of Utah; to date I have seen 4 of the 7. The problem is they haven't seen me. Unlike any other place I have lived, the blacks in Utah refuse to look me in the eye. My guess is they assume that since I'm a white guy with closely cropped hair I must be a neo-nazi-skin-head member of the Ku Klux Klan - a title I am completely uncomfortable with.

The irony is that culturally I am probably more "black" than all 7 of them combined. After living in a number of culturally diverse neighborhoods and having a large number of black friends and co-workers, I grew to accept much of the culture as my own. If you were to ask my red-headed 17 year old son what color his skin is he would probably tell you he was black.

And just what is the point of this post? I'm not really sure. I mostly liked the title and was looking for a way to put it into the blog. And what does smoking pot have to do with racial diversity? Well, instead of the melting pot I have become accustomed to living in, I now find myself in the middle of a smoking pot. Each individual ingredient remains just that, an individual. There is no melding of culture and ideas. Separateness seems to be the word of the day.

Maybe what this place needs is a big old bag of weed. I bet that would mend a few fences.

14 comments:

juliet said...

YO Robert, time to reel you in. Do they have pot in Utah? Hey I heard from Mary jo, thanks to Sara's tip about BYU and sent you all notice. I gave her your contact and told her to check out the blog where she could find everyones email. She was using her general office email so I didn't send it out to you all. I hope she checks in soon.

Ric Larson said...

Deep , far out and groovy man! Nicely said RAC'ster. Great metaphor. (Never really smoked pot myself, but I guess I can be criticized or praised just as equally since I enjoy my beer)!

RAC, I read and fully understood what you were saying. Keep the deep thinking and 'near-genuine thoughts' coming! Each and every one that reads your (this) current blog posting should after signing of 'must want to contemplate the Universe', as I now will!

Ric Larson said...

RAC'man, I hear you on the ethnic thing. It was a good education being a minority on Guam. Tought me a lot! And being in the service for so many years, I had the privilege of serving with so many different ethic groups. And now I live in the worlds biggest melting pot, New York. I hold no judgement for anyone because of there skin color. Like you, when I meet a person, I don't even reconize skin color...never enters my mind, all I see is a person.

Dang it man, you are a Guru!

DRL said...

RAC, thank you. Growing up in places like the University of Idaho, and Guam, I learned that there are jerks no mater where you go. If you are able to get past them, you will find some wounderful people. There is only one color of pigment inn skin. I think it is called Tonen or something.

pat said...

after we moved in 75, I think I was just happy some kids liked me at North High!! Red Knights! rah rah blah blah! shit, I was a gecko! But I did make some really close friends. never like the friends I had on Guam though...never could compare. ok, don't know why I posted this here but whatever:)

rac said...

For the record Juliet I don't actually smoke pot so I'm not sure if you can get it here or not. Though I did hear a rumor that some of the fundamentalist (polygamist) grow the best stuff in the country. Obviously they don't march to the beat of the mainstream LDS Church.

pat said...

I'm just waiting for the pot vending machine to go up at the circle K here. hey, they're doin it in LA, why not FLA?

rac said...

Imagine if they would have had one of those vending machines at UOG? I wonder how long it would have taken us to hack into that one?

Ric Larson said...

Not long RAC. I know that us kids raided about every single one of those soda machines.

Ric Larson said...

Does any one remember the saying, "the leaf is the universe'?

pat said...

you guys are funny..hold on a sec while I run to the vending machine.

Clay said...

Rac getting a bit deep there maybe we should go back to cat tail 101 LOL think we could have paul send us some fishing lures. Your last Question i took all credit for got to mention smallest person my cute 10 year old sister had to carry smallest bag my tackel box. inside joke folks.

Doug said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again we are in the presence of a wordsmith. A dying and under appreciated skill, the ability to use words.

pat said...

Yo lil brother, I'm sure those 7 black peeps wouldn't consider you blacker than them...I don't know, just my opinion. Maybe cause I live with a whole lot more than 7 of "them".