Friday, February 8, 2008

Stop, Drop and Roll

Remember the Hiroshima drills we were forced to endure as kids? You know, the ones where they made us get under our desk and put our head between our knees. Supposedly this was going to protect us in the event of a nuclear blast. Yeah right. All it really did was create a generation of kids living in fear. I grew up just knowing the World was going to end tomorrow. I wonder if that's what made us so adventurous and carefree? What's the point in being good when you're about to die anyway?

So the question is do the kids today feel the same way we did back then? Or have we inundated them with so much horror that they've become immune to it? Be interesting to find out. Maybe I should ask my own kids.

4 comments:

juliet said...

Now that you mention it, I don't remember them being too scared of anything except of course me, the ultimate nucular blast. I think my older one had a thing about UFO's and aliens. I remember they saw the movie "The Ring" and didn't want to be around the TV for a while until I convinced them the creatures looked like distorted smurfs.

Ric Larson said...

Here in New York, we are always on our toes since 9-11. Every time we hear a jet coming in low, our hearts pound and we stop what we are doing and look up. It's a natural refex for New Yorks anymore.

Emergency sirens are tested here several times a month. Hearing one of them too is a heart stopper.

I quess it is all about where you live in this great Country of ours and what you have experienced.

Cindy said...

Chelsea, my youngest, was afraid of broccoli for awhile. Freaked out and cried whenever she saw it. Her sister would take a piece and chase her around the house with it.

Joanna said...

Alice and I stayed in Japan for about 9mos. She ran Alice's Restaurant and I went to school at the old age of 13 at an English speaking school all the way to Kobe,we lived in Kyoto.Anyways,one fiedtrip was the bullet train to Hiroshima. I never excperienced that...I was looked down upon.I was the enemy to the other kids.I wanted to say that I was half Japanese but, I didn't.So Sad.