Thursday, July 23, 2009

One for you Mat

President Obama to replace incandescent light bulbs in the white house with the compact fluorescent light bulb. www.whitehouse.gov/.../remarks-by-the-president-on-Energy/

Okay sounds good on the surface, but the problem with them is the Mercury they contain. If they are disposed of in the trash, they will make their way into a land fill (with Mat's oil). This will leach the Mercury into the water table. If on the other hand you aren't Mat and want to recycle them, that cost a lot of money and Mercury is like Asbestos, must be handled by approved facilities. This will cost the taxpayer a lot of money. The Mercury has to be separated and contained as a hazardous material. I had a Hazmat endorsement for many years and just hauling the stuff is difficult enough, but the cost to handle it and recycle it is astronomical.
I checked Home Depot and the cost per bulb is:

60 Watt incandescent is: .30 cents each
60 Watt comparable fluorescent is: $2.00 each

So, they would have to last almost seven times as long and have to be recycled properly.

So Mat, all that Mercury will sit with your oil and leach into the ground. We are all going to die!

10 comments:

Sean said...

I will use these shitty lights to illuminate my shitty toilet so I can see what I'm doing as I unclog it.

The mercury should make a nice cocktail with the MBTE that is leaking into the water table from the federally mandated gasoline.

Gotta love those unintended consequences...

juliet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sean said...

The incandescent bulbs will be "outlawed" here as well in favor of the new pigtail ones. I can't believe that the small savings in power use will make up for the impact of the change.

Ric Larson said...

We are ordered by our Federal Government to buy these bulbs, made in China that are loaded with mercury. Who’s the true winner here?

mat said...

I've been thinking(surprise surprise)what is a landfill?land that gets filled with junk.So I have decided to become more environmentally friendly.Why burn all those dead dinosaurs throwing my oil in the trash.Those trash trucks that chug around picking up trash all day get what?Maybe 10 MPG?I'll just throw less in the trash and "sprinkle"more around my fenceline.Everything in the landfill leaches into the water supply right?So I'll put it in "my"land and look at all the gas and emissions I'll save by them not having to pick up my waste.You're welcome and thanks for showing me the error of my ways.I have seen the light!Hahahha.

Becki said...

I'm working an a cell phone (complete with multiple accessories and all the chargers which only work for that phone) landfill myself. :)

DRL said...

Yea, It is like the "paper or plastic" debate. See, if you use paper, you are a tree killer, and raping old growth forest. If you chose plastic, it is a chemically manufactured organic product, that will sit in a land fill for thousands of years, as well as float in the oceans. Paper doesn't usually kill sea life, but plastic will.
So, the final outcome is (as Sean pointed out about the MBTE's) is ofter worse that the EPA mandated change.
Nuclear power is a great example. It is the cleanest form of electricity that in "on demand". But the wast must be stored for a long time. I am a proponent for nuclear power. I live a short distance form one of the largest concentrations of nuclear power plants and nuclear waste (INL, Idaho National Laboratory), and there is no ill side effects from it.

Joanna said...

That explains it:)

DRL said...

Yea Joanna, Maybe something is in my water :)

Joanna said...

Yep.I have pictures of you,Dean,me and Steve launching on a liitle boat in Agana Bay.My sister recognized you guys right away,the ones that I have. Be nicer,Man!!! Life is too short.