Friday, March 14, 2008

POTW


Ok, here's a picture with a story. Some of you may recognize this as the tri-intersection where the Mike Martinez gas station was, but the story isn't about the intersection nor the morning rush hour traffic that I have to wade through every morning to drop kids off at school. The story is about the concrete poles that are on the ground where the NAS fence used to be. They were snapped during the last large typhoon and now stretch back to the post office to keep drunken drivers from running over the fuel lines, which lucky for us have finally been buried.

5 comments:

juliet said...

Martinez gas station. I remember the green blue eyes that old Mike Martines had. I helped to deliver one of his sons children. It is a funny story because at the time I was a nursing student and assisted with his wife's delivery around 11 am and then in the evening around 5pm, I went to work bar tending at Mokie's Puka which was a bar down the street from Mom's Place and up the street from Rainbow market. In walks his son to celebrate the birth of the baby and he looks at me and says you look so familiar...

juliet said...

Do you all remeber when Crown bakery opened up next to Martinez' gas station. The great bread and pies.

Joanna said...

I never knew it was to keep out drunks.Since NAS was turned over to GovGuam,I could only see the short comings. Like if you have bad intentions,just walk on in. Juliet, Crown Bakery is still here.Then again you probably dropped in when I last saw you:)
LOl, Joanna

Ric Larson said...

Yes Paul, I remember that sight well! It was not as congested back in the day, and I do remember a pipe line inside the fence by the NAS road. Please keep the pics coming to keep my old mind active!

Sarah said...

Crown Bakery...YUM! When I was the only one with a driver's license, I would stop there and get a brownie for all of in the car...and then once back in the car would have whoever was sitting in the passenger seat shift gears so that I could keep eating! No accidents or tickets either...

Sarah