Sunday, March 2, 2008

Words To Live By

I have a poster of this hanging in my laundry room and it makes me smile every time I read it.

Life's Little Instructions by H. Jackson Brown Jr.

Sing in the shower. Treat everyone you meet like you want to be treated.
Watch a sunrise at least once a year. Leave the toilet seat in the down position.
Never refuse homemade brownies. Strive for excellence, not perfection.
Plant a tree on your birthday. Learn 3 clean jokes. Return borrowed vehicles with the gas tank full. Compliment 3 people every day. Never waste an opportunity to tell someone you love them. Leave everything a little better than you found it. Keep it simple. Think big thoughts but relish small pleasures. Become the most positive and enthusiastic person you know. Floss your teeth. Ask for a raise when you think you've earned it. Overtip breakfast waitresses. Be forgiving of yourself and others.
Say, "Thank you" a lot. Say, "Please" a lot. Avoid negative people. Buy whatever kids are selling on card tables in their front yards. Wear polished shoes. Remember other people's birthdays. Commit yourself to constant improvement. Carry jumper cables in your trunk. Have a firm handshake. Send lots of Valentine cards. Sign them, "Someone who thinks you're terrific." Look people in the eye. Be the first to say hello. Use the good silver. Return all things you borrow. Make new friends, but cherish the old ones. Keep a few secrets. Sing in a choir. Plant flowers every spring. Have a dog. Always accept an outstretched hand. Stop blaming others.
Take responsibility for every area of your life. Wave at kids on school buses.
Be there when people need you. Feed a stranger's expired parking meter. Don't expect life to be fair. Never underestimate the power of love. Drink champagne for no reason at all. Live your life as an exclamation, not an explanation. Don't be afraid to say, "I made a mistake." Don't be afraid to say, "I don't know." Compliment even small improvements. Keep your promises no matter what. Marry for love.
Rekindle old friendships. Count your blessings. Call your mother.

12 comments:

DRL said...

Cindy, My Orthopidic Doctor has the same stuff on the walls. It is funny, I try to memories some of them, and forget when I leave. But they are words to live by!

Ric Larson said...

Cindy, my wife has the same thing (or something just like it) hanging up in her classroom as school. I always thought that it was such a posite and insperational thing to read! I have been meaning to copy it and put it in my own office at work!

Joanna said...

Nice words of wisdom.

Joanna said...

There's a line in Desiderata that I always remember,"You are supposed to be here like the trees and the stars,you belong here" I love words that send a positive message as the one you posted Cindy.

Paul said...

wait, wait, wait. "Watch the sunset at least once a year?" What kind of life is that. Try every day, or at least once a week.

Doug said...

Well that certainly is a lot to try to remember.

rac said...

I seem to remember Jackson Browne had some other words to live by too:

Gotta do what you can just to keep your love alive
Trying not to confuse it with what you do to survive

Cindy said...

"Life will give you whatever experience is most helpful for the evolution of your consciousness" Eckart Tolle

Ric Larson said...

"I like to trip,
need to trip alone,
as I gaze the celestial dome.
All...just to wonder why'?

By the great poet: Ric Dee Lars

Joanna said...

Ric, what were you on? Just kidding. I remember lying on my Dad's big cars only to look at the stars.Sam would know so much as with my Dad.Dean's Circle had a very good view back in the day. Now you have to find secluded places to see the stars.

Joanna said...

Ric, what were you on? Just kidding. I remember lying on my Dad's big cars only to look at the stars.Sam would know so much as with my Dad.Dean's Circle had a very good view back in the day. Now you have to find secluded places to see the stars.

Ric Larson said...

Jo, I just like to contemplate the Universe. And to do so, what better way than to star gaze!